The government of Kenya has relieved fears of an Ebola outbreak in the country following a suspected case that was reported in Kericho County. The case had created massive worries over the lethal disease among citizens.

Speaking in a press briefing on Monday at the Kenyatta international airport, Health Cabinet Secretary Sicily Kariuki said the government had confirmed that the case reported in Kericho involving a 36-year-old woman is not Ebola.”

“The rapid surveillance and response team which has been set up to respond has examined the patient who is in stable condition and has confirmed that she does not meet the case definition of Ebola,” said CS Kariuki.

The cabinet secretary was at the Airport during an inspection of the screening exercise and Ebola preparedness by the medical teams at the airport.

“I wish to reassure all Kenyans and our visitors that we do not have any cases of Ebola and indeed the Ministry has undertaken and continues to implement the preparedness measures,” she added.

Ms. Kariuki further asserted that an alert has been issued to all health workers and the public to enhance surveillance measures and report any cases suspected.

The 36-year-old woman quarantined at the Kericho County Referral Hospital was experiencing headache, fever and vomiting, symptoms similar to those of the virus. Three others who had been in contact with her were also isolated.