Africa Developing Stories Global Affairs Tops News Treding News

Sudan opposition Declines Army offer to Resume talks after deadly violence

Military Council Transition Leader General Abdel Fatah

The Sudan transitional military Council offered to resume talks with opposition alliance groups on Wednesday, two days after deadly clashes between security forces and protesters in Khartoum, however, the opposition rejected the offer.

Medical officers linked to the opposition said the death toll from the latest unrest had risen to 108 and that it was expected to increase even further. Sudan state news agency SUNA reported early this morning that no more than 46 people had been killed, citing a health ministry officer.

Sudanese protester against the Military Rule

The clashes, followed weeks of wrangling between the ruling military council and the opposition groups over who should lead Sudan’s transition to democracy, marked the worst outbreak of violence since the army ousted President Omar al-Bashir in April after months of protests against his rule.

Last week the transitional Military Council canceled all agreements it had reached with the opposition immediately after the raid but on Wednesday the doubled down amid mounting international criticism of the violence.

Portait of Sudanese Protesting against Bashir Rule

“We in the military council extend our hand for negotiations without shackles except the interests of the homeland,” its head, Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, said on state TV.

But a Sudanese alliance of protesters and opposition groups rejected the offer, saying the military could not be trusted.

“Today the council invited us to dialogue and at the same time it is imposing fear on citizens in the streets,” Madani Abbas Madani, a leader of the Declaration of Freedom and Change Forces (DFCF), said to the media.

Flag displaying statue

The escalation have since forced the United Nation to temporarily remove some of its civilian staff from sudan, the United Nations Sudan office said on Wednesday.

Washington on Wednesday called on Sudan’s military rulers to “desist from violence” and urged talks with protesters to resume.

“The United States condemns the recent attacks on protesters in Sudan,” State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said in a statement, calling for “a civilian-led transition that leads to timely elections and free expression of the will of the Sudanese people.”

The Sudan Alliance Leaders at ameeting

Saudi Arabia, a major backer of the military rulers, had earlier sought a resumption of “dialogue between the various parties of Sudan.”

At a regular press briefing on Wednesday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang reiterated that China has been closely following the situation.

Africa Union have since back peddled on their taough rhetoric to force the Military Council and the oposition to reach adeal we tried reaching out to the AU commission on twitter for the comment on the current ecalation but their was no anwere before pubishing this story.

One thing is for certain their is increasing violence against Civilians in Sudan right now with sole objective to tire the civilian and instill fear amongst protesters. Its our hope that African Union can step up the pressure even more beyond just rhetoric and if need strong Military AMISOM be sent to Sudan to protect Civilian.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *