Africa Developing Stories Global Affairs Tops News US


The killing of over 100 peaceful protesters by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) on 3 June triggered condemnation from the U.S. lawmakers and activists who in turn increased pressures on Washington to take swift action to prevent further attacks by the notorious militiamen who committed atrocities and grave human right violations in Darfur.

Today, the U.S Assistant Secretary for African Affairs Tibor Nagy is set to hold talks with the Sudanese stakeholders in a move to encourage the resumption of talks over power transfer to a civilian government.

Previously, President Trump who cancelled the post of US special envoy to Sudan and South Sudan has finally accepted to reappoint the former special envoy for Sudan Donald Booth as special adviser to the assistant secretary for African affairs.

It is also interesting to note that, Booth, who worked closely with the former government of ousted Omer al-Bashir and Sudanese opposition will be in Nagy’s delegation to Khartoum. The two are expected to meet with African Union representatives and Ethiopian government officials to discuss the situation in Sudan and efforts to support a political solution.

However, according to the Ethiopian mediator Mohamoud Dirir, the ruling Transitional Military Council (TMC) and the opposition Forces for Freedom and Change (FFC) have agreed to resume talks on the Sovereign Council and to cease escalation.

 The Opposition officials plan to give the presidency of the collegial presidential body to the civilians together with the majority of seats, after refusing during the past weeks.

Following the attack on the main site of protest on 3 June and the killing of over 100 people, the opposition suspended sine die the talks and declared open-ended general protest to force the army to leave power.

On Monday, the military council admitted that some military personnel have been involved in the bloody attack on the sit-in of pro-democracy protesters and pledged to release the finding of its investigation committee within 72 hours.

For its part, the FFC announced the temporary suspension of the general strike starting from Wednesday but called on its neighbourhood committees to continue the mobilizations for the resumption of the strike. The three-day strike was largely followed by the Sudanese and allowed the opposition to show its strong popular support.

In their previous discussions, the two sides agreed that during the three-year transitional period the county will be ruled by a collegial presidency, and a government of technocrats to achieve democratic and economic reforms and an appointed parliament with a majority of 67% to the FFC.

The African Union should do more despite the suspension so as to help bring about a peaceful transition in the in Sudan and stop giving room for the U.S continued meddling in the continents affairs.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *